With Rig's renovated face in place. Next I went to his gun arm, and decided to extend it- using a skateboard wheel 'spacer', and the camera lens of an old mobile phone camera- also a flint wheel from a disposable lighter on the side of the arm, as a kind of rotating barrel for extra animation when he fires the weapon. The arm had a better threaded ball added to it also. Come to think of it, I've recycled a lot of lighters and mobile phones on this project.
I ordered a load of new plates and ball components from animationsupplies.net
these were from the pro plus armature component range, including the new joints for the elbows which use one ball and one disc within the sandwich plate.
This will limit movement to one point within the sandwich plate. I prefer the design aesthetic like this too.
I removed the first attempt at the new shoulders, because the balls for the pro plus armature were smaller than those I had used- start again- drilled the torso and put in one rod across the gap.
And this is the design for the new upper arms- trying to accent the hydraulic design and get it more cleanly achieved. The threaded rod runs all the way through, and is capped at either end with nuts holding it in place at the end of the tubes.
I used brass and aluminium tubes, trying to evoke pneumatic pistons.
I also added this cap detailing towards the shoulder section- each upper arm is working to the same basic design, but slightly different- I feel you can get away with this due to the different purposes of the arms- hand and gun. Also you can now see the ball fitted at the front end, and the 'disc' for the new elbow section.
Two upper arms, and the wrist section- hex style cuffing on all, and a much better approximation of hydraulics on the upper arms- I distressed the black springs too with a file to imply wear and tear.
The gun arm all assembled- looking mean! I'm still thinking I may hide the plates at the elbows with some sort of elbow pad- but I'm torn- I also like the plate showing. I'll have to keep thinking about that.