Ok, I'm back- some sort of evil flu had struck me down for the last 7 days, so normal service resumes now, apologies if you missed me, and welcome to all those who've dropped by thus far- including at least Dean and Nick Hilligoss - bredren!
Still bringing you up to date, today's post will be about my quest for better, and lighter, heads.
You've also got to think about how you'll connect these heads to the armatures, in this case I started the head with a loop of florists wire inside the head, then added the foam.
I've experimented with ping pong ball heads this year, with pivot cup eye sockets made from cut down golf tees- these have worked ok so far...
So, following this build I find myself wondering whether the ping pong balls were neccessary at all, or whether pure polystyrene bases are not just as good- this is the direction in which more recent experiments have moved- but for a specifically spherical shape to heads, I think it is a useful technique. The draw back to this design is the extra weight the plasticine brings- the puppet would need to be either a ball and socket skeleton, or have a fairly heavy duty wire armature to support it.